With everyone being at home and online more often these days, we thought it was important to make sure access to books, art, and stories was made as easy as possible. Be sure to check out:
– Our blog for comic book recommendations and interviews with awesome comic book creators!
– Our D2B Comic Classes where we offer live, online, 1-hour classes on comic book creation for ages 8+
– Our Drawn to Write 1-day and 3-day youth comics book creator camps for ages 9+
– If you are a school or library looking for the best info on comics and manga for kids and teens, sign up for our e-newsletter that gets sent out every two months.
NEWSLETTER SIGN UP!
Below are some links to useful online resources for learning and creating!
Every year we ask our Drawn to Write campers what they like best and they always say COMIC JAMS! So here’s how to do one at home!
Links to learning about books, art and stories!
- The School Library Journal has a great list of webcomics for kids, YA, and teens!
- The Young Alberta Books Society has a great youtube page with storytelling and advice on writing:
- Mo Willems did Lunch Doodles every day on youtube through the Kennedy Centre:
- Art Assignment on youtube! PBS hosts this awesome youtube page that has videos about artists and art, and they’ve got an Art Assignments for the Self-Quarantine playlist. A lot of these activities would be more suited to Ages 9+
- For ages 13+, CrashCourse Literature
- If you’re looking for kids younger than age 12, there is a Crash Course Kids
- Think Indigenous – Online Indigenous Education K-8 on facebook. They’ve got a lot of videos already and are creating more for all subjects!
Do you have an Edmonton Public Library card? The library is always working for you!
Here are two great apps to download FOR FREE with your EPL card! If you’re outside of Edmonton, check with your local library’s website to see what online services your card provides you with!
The Libby app:
Access to a flobbityjillion e-books and audio books! They are taken out on your library card, just like regular library books, and returned automatically for you when your time is up. A truly amazing resource.
The Kanopy app:
With your library card, you get FREE access to 5 movies/month AND an unlimited amount of the Great Courses series (everything from tai chi to screenwriting) as well as unlimited access to KanopyKids that has both great cartoons AND great learning series.